Thursday, June 5, 2008

Chicken Cacciatore


I can't believe I haven't posted this yet! I've already made it twice and it is quickly becoming one of my favorite meals. It comes from my favorite Real Simple cookbook.

Start with some chicken dredged in flour, salt, and pepper. Brown the chicken in a pan with olive oil, about 5 minutes on each side. Then pull 'em out of the pan. I use chicken thighs.


Now, in the same pan, add, 1 chopped onion, 1 carrot, 1 stalk of celery, 4 cloves of finely chopped garlic, 3 sprigs of thyme, and a bay leaf. (I added way more than that to increase the veggie factor).


Cook the veggies for about 10 minutes. Now add a 28 ounce can of crushed plum tomatoes. Stir. Add the chicken back in. Add 1/3 cup of dry red wine (I used a cab) -- this is the best best BEST part, I swear! That red wine taste mixed with the tomato....ohhhhh this is killing me now.


Let the chicken cook for about 45 minutes at a low simmer while it takes on that to-die-for tomato sauce flavor. So.darn.good! Make sure you flip the chicken over every so often so that it cooks all over!

I serve it with pasta. Stir in some parsley just before you serve and your dinner companion will thank you. :)

No comments: