Wednesday, December 12, 2007

Christmas Ornaments

I realize this is not a cooking recipe, but it involved the oven, and it's a "wifely" duty so it's going to be posted. :)

Hubby and I had a bare tree and I didn't want to pay full price for ornaments knowing they'd go on sale right after Christmas, so this year I elected to make our ornaments.

Enter the kindergarten teacher -- salt dough.

2 cups flour
1 cup salt
1 cup warm water


Simple, right? Mix the water and salt, and add the water slowly. It should be a good, thick consistency, not too sticky. Roll out the dough, cut as desired, then bake at low heat.



I tried it a few nights ago and mixed in nutmeg, cinnamon, and cloves for a brownish color and spicy smell. But I think I baked it too high (or our oven here is stupid). It turned everything a strange white color and made it look strange. So, I tossed them out and re-did it, this time without the spices and baking at 225. It was still strange but not as bad. Now we just have to decorate and hang on the tree. :)

1 comment:

Midori said...

haha...isn't "wifely duties" usually a euphemism for something else?