Wednesday, December 19, 2007

Salmon Fillet



This was dinner er...two nights ago? Right after being diagnosed with high blood pressure at the doctor's office. Too sad! I am now on a low sodium diet until the doc figures out what meds she wants to put me on. This makes cooking very, very sad for me. No salt?!? Whaaaa?

My mom always makes salmon fillet with lots and lots of mayo. I know it sounds weird but when you bake it in the oven it gets this crispy brownish smooth and creamy top layer that is OH.SO.GOOD. After my news at the doctor's office I decided to tone down the mayo, so I just spread a thin layer over the fillet. I added some thyme and dill (instead of salt) to the fillet. If I hadn't been warned of my health issue I would've sprinkled some salt and pepper on the fillet before I put the mayo, but oh well.



The rice was easy, just fried a bit in the wok with some butter, a TINY bit of salt, and some pepper. Sort of a makeshift pilaf.

Veggies were a repeat of the baby bok choy (I dunno how else to cook it!) and leftover asparagus from hubby's mom that blows my cooking out of the water. I dunno how she can make nasty veggies taste so good. Oh and canned tomato soup (dude I just realized I don't really cook much.)



In the end I didn't really miss the salt, I guess. Lies! I totally missed it. I'm still thinking about how much better it would've been with salt. :(

3 comments:

Midori said...

i'm gonna get the results of my bloodwork on friday :( i'm scared of what she's going to tell me!

i'm probably going to be diagnosed w/ sky high cholesterol or something and then you can cook healthy for me, too.

Unknown said...

looks good though!

Lyn Lyn said...

Aww its okay! I had to do the whole no salt thing too because of my kidneys. It takes some getting used to but after a while you won't miss it. Now when I eat "normal" stuff I find it too salty sometimes. A good alternative to salt is ginger and garlic. Because it adds flavor but low on sodium :) Or if you want to boost up the fish add lemon juice. Thats what I found works when the family says all my cooking is bland -_-